N'awlins at heart

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I know, I know...

Once again, it's been a while. But life has been busy as usual. I started in a new department last Wednesday and it has been a lot to learn. I think I'm finally picking it up for the most part but still moving slower than I want to. From what I can tell they all seem to understand it will take a while for me to pick up on a whole new way of doing / testing EVERYTHING. But I still want to know it all now. As S1+o knows very well, this is the crappy transitioning part. The one where you feel like a complete idiot the whole time.

I'm at a Power Management test, which is apparently the longest section. The computer puts itself to sleep, hibernate, and power off states repeatedly. And I, in turn, sit here and wait (or blog). LOL. The new lab isn't bad though. Not as much micromanaging going on which is nice. The one down side is as follows... I have been here since last Wednesday. The guy sitting behind me looks like your typical contractor just like everyone else. So I have been BSing with his as such. Since Wednesday. No big deal. Until he leaves for lunch today (along with the guy he is training). The other guy that got moved from my lab came to look at an issue I was having and made the comment "Paul's training someone by you today?". I was like "Yeah, if the guy behind me is Paul, then yes, he has been training someone today". It was about that time that I was informed just who Paul is. Once he said the last name I knew it. I have been BSing with my bosses boss for the last week like we were best friends. I don't know about everyone else, but I would have to assume common courtesy is to inform the new guy when he is seated right next to the big boss. Maybe that's just me. So, while playing catch up and trying to learn, I am running through all the conversations I have had with this man trying to remember how many times I've put my foot in my mouth. On a positive note though, apparently I have just shown him that his "status" doesn't intimidate me. So I guess I should keep going along the way I have been. I don't recall ever pissing him off, so that's a good sign. No need to change the way I treat him now, right? Although I want to grab a few of the guys in the lab and give them the (as Happy Gilmore asked of his caddy) "Where were you on that one guy?" I mean, for real.

Speaking of last Wednesday, the visit from the Spinney Clan was a lot of fun. We went to a few nice restaraunts, and "play" places (namely Dave and Busters). I have been talking to a few of the "Stunt Guys" form Outerlimitz Freestyle and Houston Delinquents. They use to stunt at public places on Wednesday Bike Nights, but the popo were not impressed. So the public stunting has been pretty much shut down. I mentioned to one of them that I had family coming in town who would LOVE to check them out and he gave me directions to one of the "007" spots where they practice. It was nice to get to see them up close without a crowd. And to just hang out and chat with them between "practice". These guys are SICK! I am definitely going to have to set that up again when H2 comes in town. He will absolutely love it! The stuff these guys do is unbelievable.

We were also treated to Fogo de Chao. It was awesome. The food just kept coming. The Spinney's left on Saturday, and it poured the rest of the weekend / holiday. I actually checked the weather and it seemed like the huge storm was just "hanging out" right over Houston. New Orleans seemed to have pretty decent weather the whole time. So W1 and I more or less hung out around the house all weekend and got some much needed rest. We watched the Sopranos marathon all day yesterday. It was pretty interesting, but i'm sure seeing it from the beginning would help a lot. Oh well, there are always DVD's to rent.

Well, it's starting to get "busy" around my area so i think that'll have to do for now.

3 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

It's about time!! Great Spinney visit indeed, need to do it again very soon.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you can talk, girl!!! I had a great time, guys. Wish I could have spent more time and had the wife with me to enjoy your company. Hope to do it again.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Wish I could have been there this weekend...
As I'm reading your "Paul" incident, OMG!!! I would die - I'm glad you put a good spin on it and decided to "keep it real" with him. What kind of bastards do you work with?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home