N'awlins at heart

Sunday, May 20, 2007

You could use a cold shower.

Okay, I know it's been forever. My bad, my bad. So here's a little of what's been going on. ChiaPop is still in the hospital. Not very impressive. But I did talk to him last night and he said he felt better. I can't wait for him to get better. We went to visit last weekend and it sounds like he is doing better off than he was then. So that is always a plus.

We've been doing some thinking and it's time for Big J and Brittany to move here. Houston apparently has a shortage of knowledgeable firemen. Last week around 9:30 PM the fire alarm went off in our complex. When it goes off in one apartment sirens go off in all the apartments. It is a piercing scream that I can guarantee we will not be sleeping through. 45 minutes later the firemen show up. They were able to silence the alarm (but the box, which is conveniently located on the other side of the wall from our headboard, kept beeping. So that made for a lovely nights sleep). The firemen then decide they need to go into every apartment to find out who the culprit was. I was by the front door when I heard him telling W1 we were the cause of the alarm. Now I knew this was total bullshit. I have set the alarms off cooking bacon. They are on a different frequency and out of sync with the building alarm. And they have a bright red light that blinks. So, this genius commences to calling his Captain to ask him about it. And he states "You see how the light is solid? That means this one went off right?" His Captain looked at him like he was an idiot and responded "That's the power light". After hearing this I had to look at it. Sure enough he was talking about a tiny green light that was labeled "Power". The larger red light was not on. You know, the one that blinks when it goes off. Yeah, part of the button you push to test it. Great. I have a lot more faith in these guys now. As soon as I smell a match I'm gonna commence to chucking every expensive piece of electrical equipment I can get my hands on, out the front door.

The weather has been gorgeous this weekend. W1 and I took a short ride yesterday to a BBQ joint up the road. It was pretty good. Probably not as good as the Crawfish we missed in NOLA today. But still some damn good cookin. W1 had to work today, so they could finish installing her furniture at her new office. I was sitting around bored so I decided to take a short ride. I jumped on Google Maps and found a relatively large circle of roads. I was out for about 2 hours. I would much rather have taken the river road to Kenner, then back to NOLA, but it was still a nice ride. Tons of bikes out today. I saw one of the stunters out, with his bike in the back. It wasn't hard to miss the bright Red and Yellow paint job.

Later, after W1 got back home, we ran out and got some boiled crabs. We ate a few of them and then she went for a nap. That is when I went to rinse the bowls and discovered, for the 2nd day in a row, WE HAVE NO HOT WATER!!! We called yesterday around 2:00 PM and they said the guy would be out around 4:00 PM. Apparently they didn't mean the same day. So it looks like cold showers all around. Yaaayyyy! W1 is calling and leaving a Voice Message every hour, on the hour. Since there is only an answering service. It made me think though, when the fire alarm went off last week, the Manager of the complex showed up. I wonder if she would show up again if someone were to pull that alarm.

And speaking of the fire truck. This will clue you in on the Houston drivers. Apparently, once the fire truck got into our complex, they almost made a wrong turn. So the driver hit the breaks. One of the great Houston drivers was obviously not paying attention, and ran right into the back of the truck. How bad of a driver do you have to be to not see a giant, bright red truck with blinking red lights and sirens. So they got to sit outside our window with that diesel engine chuggin away for 2 hours while they waited for HPD to show up and write a report.

I guess all in all things haven't been too bad. We got some much needed sleep Friday night. W1 got off early and they are starting me temporarily in a new group on Monday. Rather than start a project I may not finish I left a few hours early. When I got home at 5:30 PM on Friday night W1 was taking a nap. I decided to take one too, and woke up at 8:00 AM Saturday morning. But being so energized we went out and washed the car, the bike, and the truck. And trust me, they all needed a bath. (Much like I do if they ever get us our damn hot water back.)

The new department I'm going to Monday? Oh yeah, I never mentioned what it was. Here's the kicker. A few months ago I got offered a $10 an hour raise to move to a different department. I was all over it however the contract company I work for has a tendency to sue. Apparently there is a rule against jumping from one contract to another. So I backed out. Now here we are 2 months later. They decide our work is dwindling, and rather than close the lab for a week, they are going to "loan" 2 of us out to a different group. Of course I was one of the selected ones. Can you guess which group I get to go to? Yep, you guessed it. The one I was going to take the job with originally. The best part is, I get to move to that group at the same pay I'm making right now. $10 raise, what $10 raise? Well, life goes on.


At 6:54 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Bitch don't have my money??

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous SSSPPPIIINNNEEEYYY!!! said...

Whats up with that shit? Sounds like you still work for employers in New Orleanns!!! I think Patti use to work for your bosses!!!Can't wait to see you on Wednesday night. (Bitch better have some hot water, or else...)


Post a Comment

<< Home