N'awlins at heart

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Seafood?

One thing I hate about living in Houston is the price of seafood. Along with the way it is prepared. Basically, last night, we moved most of W1's office to their new building. Not too bad, but I will admit I am exhausted. Afterwards, we went to a local "watering hole" (Informal definition of course) and had some food. W1, her boss, and I all got burgers. Not bad, especially at midnight. Her other boss, however, ordered 2 lbs of crawfish. Now, the problem here is that Houston seems to cook their crawfish like Hooters does their wings (Crappy! Ok, just kidding). But what they seem to do is boil them in plain water, then "dust" them with cayanne pepper. (Much like Hooters frying their wings then "shaking" them in the sauce.) Which leaves you with a giant mess. I guess they do this because mud bugs just ain't messy enough. Who knows? I think W1's boss made the best comparison. And I quote "Hmmm, I'm really in the mood for some coffee. I guess I'll chew on a coffee bean then gargle scalding hot water. Yeah, it's just not the same."

The weather here has been pretty strange to say the least. They forcast stoms and you get nothing, they forcast 10% chance of rain and it pours all day. I'm starting to think maybe weather man should have been my calling. I can take guesses that are wrong 90% of the time. Ok, I'm sorry. That is a little mean. I'm sure they spend lots of time and money on schooling to "guess" at the weather. Is it too late for a career change?

Is it time for coffee? Indeed it is not! Not any more today anyway. Short story long... We have 3 "business size" coffee pots on our floor here. One of the guys was getting coffee and a roach ran out from under the spout. That sort of ended our coffee from there. So we started bringing our own pot and brewing it ourselves. I have never made the coffee in "that" machine until today. How did that work out you ask? Not so well! The co-worker told me to use 6 scoops of regular (1/8 cup). He did not realize I was using regular strength, not that sissy 1/2 Caff they have there. He also didn't realize I was adding flavored grounds to it (another 4 scoops). By the time it was done creamer couldn't lighten this stuff up. It was like syrup coming out of the brewer. I had 2 cups, and now I'm sitting here with a stomach ache and the shakes. How much do you want to bet they won't ask me to make the coffee again. On a good note though I am WIDE AWAKE! Ha Ha Ha!

Not much else going on for now so that's all ya get!

5 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Ugh! You have reaffirmed my decision to abstain from coffee (besides the taste)!!!

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Ellie said...

heheehehehe, nice

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Auntie M said...

Ask your mom to tell you about the time Uncle Bill (Fill) made Hawaiian coffee at your house. Strong doesn't quite describe it.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous SSSPPPIIINNNEEEYYY!!! said...

Dammit, Mike. Didn't I tell you that Hannah has to make the coffee!!!Gosh!!!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

HEY, Don't make me come for you Major Spinney!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home