N'awlins at heart

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Weight a minute...

Sorry for the delay. This and that had been going on.

Let me start with the bragging. About a month after we moved to Houston I weighed myself. I was tipping the scales at 242 lbs. I was at about 211 lbs when we evacuated to Orlando. So I put on 30 lbs when we first moved. So, last Friday I came in late (dropping off the bike for chain / sprocket issues) and as I was heading out for lunch I stopped to weigh myself. My goal was to get back down to 200 lbs. I stepped on the scale and was shocked. It read 199.5 lbs. I was so surprised I even stepped off and back on to double check. And once again it read 199.5 lbs. (Now after lunch it was 202.1 but that's okay.) I have been going between 204 and 206 for a few weeks. So I thought that was the best I was going to do. Apparently switching to red wine was the last step I needed to take, sans exercise.

The bike. I got a really good deal ordering the chain and sprocket through D+L (Sorry but their website didn't seem to work properly so all you get is a citysearch link). It saved me about $40. The down side being, bringing the parts to the local dealership changed the labor from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. They "all of a sudden" remembered they had to take the plastics off to do the work. Apparently they do a much better job than I do because I can have them all off in 5 minutes but the trained mechanic takes 1/2 hour. So there went my savings. That was okay though, I just smiled thinking of the 30 other bike shops in the area who may like my money next time I need work done. Let's face it people, a 12 year old bike is gonna need a little more work than the newer stuff. Oh well, life goes on. Now the positive note is, I guess I didn't realize how bad off my chain was. When they put the new one on it was like a brand new bike. I mean totally, night and day. It's like falling in love (with my bike) all over again.

After the chain, it was bath time. For ALL of the vehicles. I took the truck first and gave it a good wash down. Then when I got home I followed W1 on the bike and parked in the stall behind her. She washed "She who is of Thunder and Lightning" while I washed "the bike" (Yeah, my name isn't quite as creative. The other one is "my truhk". Well, at least that's how it's pronounced).

I forgot to mention before, but we also saw a good accident on the way to the bike shop. As we were pulling up to a stop light, a car heading towards us was making a right turn. They did everything properly from what I could see. The issue being the lane they were going into. Much like a situation the New Orleans family has heard, there were 3 cars preparing to cross the intersection. Apparently a police officer was in quite a hurry and decided to pass all these cars in the oncoming traffic lane. Yep, that's the same lane the car was making a right turn into. So, SLAM. The turning car spun (front end accordianed) into the intersection, and the police unit barreled front end first into a telephone pole. The best part of the accident was the fact that we were across the street and it did not hinder our "trip" at all. The light turned green and we were able to continue about our day. One thing I can say about Houston cops is that there are tons of them. I think there's 5 different police forces that have jurisdiction over our area. A HPD unit went head on with a car, and before we even made it across the intersection a Houston Constable was at the scene.

Now I saved the best for last. (I think this is going to be the last). After all the excitement of the day we decided to head out to lunch. We went to James Coney Island for some Hot Dogs. As we're standing in line waiting for the guy to pour our drinks I look at a picture of their hamburger. I turn to W1 and make the comment "Damn, I bet their hamburgers are rollin!" The guy making the drinks responded "If you ordered the hamburger, I would have made it". (As I have grown older I have learned to not always say the first thing that comes to mind. But I will admit I am still a cocky and arrogant, just plain mean, individual at times. I'm just better at hiding it). So my first thought to his comment was "And... Who the fuck are you that I should feel so honered that you made me a hamburger?" With this thought running through my mind I had to look down at his name tag. I looked and almost shit myself, literally (as in, truly, I almost pooped my pants). His name tag said "HERRICK". I couldn't believe it. I was like "Hey, that's my name". After talking to him for a second, I discovered his mothers maiden name was Herrick so when he was born they made that his first name to "keep the name alive". Is that crazy or what? It made me laugh a bit on the inside thinking is I wasn't being such an ass, I would have never even bothered to look at his name tag.


At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Was his last name "Dean" or "Michael" or "Kenneth"? Now THAT would have been funny!!

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Louisiana Rose said...

Did you find out how his mother is related to us?? No? Go back for the hamburger next weekend!

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Crazy stuff. Congrats on the weight loss - jealous!! Glad you and your bike are "honeymooning". This is a good time of year to ride her!

At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you go back for that burger, you can tell Herrick that we've got the "keep the name alive" pretty well covered, thank you very much!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home