N'awlins at heart

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tonight's entertainment brought to you by "Glad Tall Kitchen Bags".

Oh great, another Monday. That was my first thought this morning. After showering, brushing teeth, etc... I put on a new pair of Jeans.

Lets flash back a week to last Wednesday. Helping W1 move her office to the new building. Last trip, probably close to 11:00 PM, and of course the boxes at the bottom were all full of unopened printer paper. So I'm lugging a box across the office and I hear a strange sound. One that caught me off guard. It turned out to be the sound of my belt breaking. Now anyone who has spent time around me knows most of my jeans are "hand me ups". One of the good things about having younger brothers who are taller than you is when they outgrow their jeans, you get them. Unfortunately the pair I happened to have on was about 6" too wide in the waist. Are ya ready to do the math? Big Pants - Belt = NO PANTS! That's right, with every step my pants came further down. So I didn't have long to set the box down.

Now Houston has a lot of things. Stores on every corner that sell belts at 11:00 PM on a Wednesday Night they do not. Being the geek that I am I improvised and held my pants up the rest of the evening with an Cat 5 cable. Yep, a network cable. It was at the moment, I had an epiphany. I knew it was time for pants that fit. So, last weekend, we picked up a couple pairs in my size.

So, heading out to work in my new pants I hopped on the bike. The Beltway was typical traffic. Coming up behind an 18 wheeler I got hit in the leg with a rock. It felt pretty jagged. The kind of rock that would star your windshield. And do you know what the first thought was running through my mind? Not "Ow, that hurt!" Not "Man, I hope I'm not bleeding." It was "Damn it! If that ripped my new pants IT'S ON!" Luckily, it did not.

The day went by typically for a Monday. It was quite busy but I can't complain because it made the day go by pretty quick. Towards the end I was getting tired of being there, the driver I was testing was not going well, and anything to get me out of there would be appreciated. At that very moment I saw a flash. It was like a camera flash. Then another, and another. There was no sound at first but that didn't matter, I knew exactly what was happening. I reached for my jacket and helmet just as the announcement was made over the PA, there was a fire in the building. (Or another drill just like the one last week). So I headed for the stairs. (There's really no point standing around outside for 15 minutes just to come back and work for 10, so I headed home.

After gassing up I got onto US 249 headed to the belt. (Much like Orlando I've noticed they feel the need to number all the roads in Houston). I made it to the 1960 overpass and just over the top our daily excitement reared it's ugly head. Directly ahead of me in my lane was a glad tall kitchen bag, floating around in the breeze. I slowed down to see where it was heading, but it just darted back and forth in my lane. I gunned it trying to swerve at the last second but to no avail. The large white bag wrapped itself around my left arm. Unfortunately it was not raining, so I had no need for this free rain gear. I looked to my left and got away from traffic, then reached back with my left arm and let it soar. Needless to say I was a little more cautious the rest of the ride home.

I did post this yesterday so I will continue today. Today went fairly easy. Woke up this morning to get ready for work. Took a shower then decided work wasn’t a good idea so we called in. Went back to sleep until about 2:30 PM. Then we got up, ate some cereal and went back for another nap around 4:00 PM. Woke up at 7:20 PM and I think we’re up for a few hours now. I have to admit today was not very stressful at all.

2 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Little brother, you bring a smile to my face. Love ya!

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw that. I worked like 5 billion hours this week. I hate you!!!!(O.K. I love you again)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home