N'awlins at heart

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hey man, how's it going?

Currently I am still at work. I will be flying out tomorrow at noon to visit my angel and the rest of the family in NOLA. I am really excited. Two weeks without electricity really sucks. I've been hanging in there though. I have a laptop at home with a TV tuner card so I have been able to watch some boob tube at night. Mostly news, Simpsons, King of the Hill, you know, fun stuff. According to Centerpoint's website we were supposed to have power back last Monday. That was not the case. As each day went by I have been hoping it would be on when I got home. As you have probably noticed, it has not.

Yesterday when I got home, one of the neighbors was pulling in, and we had a conversation for about an hour or so. He informed me he was told the complex electricity was not up to code and would not be on for 30 days. I was not impressed at all. Fortunately W1 was kind enough to call Centerpoint and get the real scoop. Apparently we sustained major damage. That is why EVERYONE else around us has power but we do not. They did inform us that there are no issues with code violations, and the power will be back by Friday night at the soonest, or Sunday night at the latest. But we've heard all that before. It was supposed to be up last Monday and that did not happen, so I'm not sure how much I trust the latest forecast. But at least I am not expecting light tonight when I get home.

Work has not been bad. I am wondering if they consider stealing electricity a fire worthy offense. Because I have been stealing it like crazy via charging batteries on a daily basis. Who knows? They must be pretty happy with my work though, since I got a tee shirt today. One of the companies who made a mouse I had tested sent me a shirt with the mouse logo. I'm not sure if they did it because they are pleased with my work, or if they just know I am running short on clean clothes. Either way it's pretty cool.

My boss got his power back yesterday morning. I am very glad because he did not seem to be taking it as well as I have. He had been very snappy and definitely stressed. He seems to be in a lot better mood. I have gotten closer to getting back on track and catching up on the work that was piling up earlier so I'm thinking he was pretty happy about that too.

In another hour and a half I will be at my 40 hours for the week, so hopefully I can make it that long. If not, oh well. I should be able to get pretty close to it though since I still need to type up my weekly report. Then once I get home I start packing a suitcase of dirty clothes and preparing for my flight. I don't mind working late right now since W1 is not here and it is dark when, or soon after I get home. Having no lights I am unable to read "A Confederacy of Dunces" which I started after the storm. This is my third attempt at reading the book and I think I may actually get through it this time. I've never been big on reading (if it's not on a computer screen) but it is a really good book.

Okay, looks like I'm going to get back to work. Hope you all enjoyed the update and I look forward to seeing everyone soon.


At 8:32 AM, Blogger Patti said...

haha - they sent you a clean shirt!! And I feel your pain, I haven't been able to finish CoD, and I LIKE to read!!!

Can't wait to see you!!!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home