N'awlins at heart

Thursday, September 18, 2008

More of the updates.

Thanks to Hurricane Ike I am pretty far behind on my work. And when I have worked this week, my mind has been elsewhere. So I'm currently at work making up time I missed Monday. I was planning on coming in Saturday for 8 hours to get my 40 this week, but now that W1 is in NOLA I decided to work late. That way although I will still need to come in Saturday, it should only be for 2-3 hours. Russell said I should work as late as I can manage to have both weekend days off, but I think it is better this way. I noticed one of the issues I had was I didn't want to go anywhere. I mean, I wanted to get out of the house, but wasn't in the mood to really "go" anywhere. But if I have to leave the house Saturday and come all the way to work, even for a few hours, I will be more motivated to go visit friends who do have power. Whereas if I had both days off, I would spend at least one of them sitting around the house, sleeping all day, then being unable to sleep at night and feeling miserable in the morning.

I decided not to give W1 a choice and told her to leave. She fought tooth and nail but I would not back down. Had I known the power would be out until "after next Monday" (We're 77063) I would have made her leave sooner. The situation here is still bad, and she does not belong in this environment. But the deal goes both ways, she agreed to go to NOLA as long as I agreed not to sit around the house in the dark all weekend. So I already made plans to go to Russell's apartment Sunday, and either Russell's or Co-worker B's (the one who gave me all the ice yesterday) on Saturday after work. I think it's a fair trade.

The Gas Station lines have gotten better, or maybe I'm just going at better times. There are plenty of places open to eat, and grocery stores and Wal-Mart open also. The main down side is the lack of power. No A/C sucks, no refrigeration sucks, no internet sucks. But it sort of feels like Kartina II. And I think it pretty much is. But it will get better soon I have no doubt. It has to.

Friday Update:

I started this post yesterday but it was starting to sound a lot worse than it is. It does suck around here but it is tolerable. I have been working late just because there is nothing better to do. Plus my work is piling up. My boss has been without power this whole time too and I can tell it's wearing on him. He was getting a bit angry with me today because the work is piling up. It made me mad at first as I was like "Um, hello, a hurricane blew through here! My mind probably isn't 100% on my job." But that wasn't totally it. The current item I was testing is a piece of garbage. It isn't even stable enough to merit me testing it yet. I finally told my boss that he needs to let them know there is MAJOR work that needs to be done to it before they even consider shipping it. He agreed, sent them a nasty email, and gave me 3 more items to test. That is going a little better, but still slowly. I think a lot has to do with the fact that I know I have other items that have come in this week waiting in line behind them. It's like the work load where you can't see an end. Whatever, I get paid by the hour.

On a better note I went to look at any updates to the repair info and found this. It made me happy since our area is numbered 063. Which now says we should be up Monday. It may be a mistake, or it may be progress. Either way I ain't counting chickens. I'll believe it when I see it. It would be nice though. On the down side my bosses is 070. That one says after Thursday. He is already bad mood dude. Hopefully if his is out that long he will take a short vacation. Who knows, either way we are both in the same boat right now. I wish both of us luck. Speaking of work, I guess I should get back to it.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang tough, Lil Bro. Soon, you'll be in a.c., with lights, and a fridge, laughing about this shit!!!

J

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Love and miss you baby. Keep dat head up, I NEED YOU!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home