N'awlins at heart

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oh come on! Coworker S2?

Flashback to almost 3 years ago. "Tha bitch" hit and we moved to H-town. Shortly afterwards I got a job. Not the greatest but it was a job. The boss I had was pretty cool. He was laid back, and didn't really "ride your ass" very much. After about a year the project I was working on was farmed out overseas and I moved to my last position. The boss I had got laid off, along with most of the group.

Fast forward to about a month ago. I walked outside at work and ran into my old boss. His name also starts with an S so he has now been dubbed Coworker S2. Shortly after I told him where I was working he informed me he was hired in another group to "clean up a huge mess" that the group had become. He asked me for a favor that was a little time consuming, but I wanted to help him out. Well that just opened the flood gates. He was a "buddy" on my chat program when he was my boss and he was still there. Since then he hounds me every other day for these favors. And they just get bigger and bigger. Not always in time, but just major stuff. I leave my computer on at work with the chat program connected and I'll come in and have messages waiting from him. Stuff like "Yo, let me know when y'all get in". If I don't respond immediately after I log in (you can see I'm online instead of "away" when I move my mouse) he'll hit me up again. Let me get some coffee and check my email man. I mean really.

It only got worse. I came in one morning and was "chatting" back and forth with him about another "favor" he wanted when my boss came in. My boss sat down and was asking about what I was working on etc... when out of the corner of my eye I saw another chat window pop up. I couldn't very well stop my meeting with my boss to check a chat message so I let it go. But Coworker S2 didn't. When I didn't respond within 30 seconds he called my cell phone. I grabbed it through my pocket and silenced it. About 30 seconds later it rang again. The THIRD time my phone rang rapid fire my boss asked if I needed to answer it. NOT COOL! Mind you, at this point I had only been at the new job for 2 weeks. The next time I saw him I informed him I was in a meeting with my boss, and that was no es bueno! He apologized but didn't stop asking for favors.

Today he was again starting with the favors and I vented to Coworker R about how he wanted more stuff, and would "blow up my phone" if i didn't answer his messages. Coworker S overheard me bitching and asked who I was talking about. I told him who the guy was and our affiliation and left it at that. Later I went outside for a smoke, and apparently didn't answer his message quick enough because my phone rang again 3 times rapid fire. By now I was pretty close to being done with the favors so I didn't answer. When I walked back into the lab Coworker S2 was in there. Coworker S immediately points to him and says "Is this the guy you were talking about?" The look on my face had to be priceless. I played it off as best I could, but I have to say Coworker S actually did me a favor. That comment had to let S2 know his favors were getting old. At the end of the day S2 was still in our lab. I told the other Coworker (who is leaving at the end of the month, getting married, and moving to NOLA actually) that I was going home for the day. All was good until a little after 8:00 tonight. When my phone rang again. IT WAS S2. He called me after he knew I had gone home. Most likely to get a head start on tomorrows favor requests. But that was the last straw. And his last favor. When I see him tomorrow I am going to let him now he has worn out his welcome. Remember kids, no good deed goes unpunished.

As for Coworker S, he is digging his own grave. He was demoted to fill the position of the coworker who is leaving (in like 7 days) and has not made any attempt at learning her extremely hard job. And it has not gone unnoticed. I think he's gonna be in a crappy mood after the ass chewing he's gonna get tomorrow. Our boss was extremely unimpressed when he came by at 5:30 and found the current worker busting her ass while Coworker S had left for the day. Once again avoiding any form of training. I don't think he realizes she is the only person who knows how to do that job and when she's gone none of us can answer any questions. And it's a lot harder to teach yourself a job without anyone to ask when you have questions. I wonder if we're gonna see his picture on failblog, because he is definitely about to fail.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

He called you at 8:00 pm? That's bullshit. All these favors you're doing are probably his actual work and you're the only reason he's still at his job!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home