N'awlins at heart

Friday, June 20, 2008

The Magical Mystery Truck...

Work, work, work... That is what has been going on. But it's still fun. I have been testing mainly webcams and gaming mice this week, so it's been pretty mellow. Next week is Wireless Broadband, Bluetooth headphones, and more mice. Hee Hee Hee.

Last weekend we were in NOLA. It was a nice trip and fairly uneventful. We were supposed to pick up my bike but it didn't happen. The things I wanted done were done well, and the bike rode and performed like a dream on Saturday. The only issue ws something that has been going on for a while, and just slipped my mind. The engine seems to be knocking. Not bad, but noticable. I was tempted to bring it back here anyway but I knew I would end up riding it. And I really didn't think I should. So it is back in Chuck's shop being diagnosed and hopefully fixed. Big thanks to H2 for bringing it back there.

Also big thanks to the Spinney's for allowing us to take over their home while we were in town. It was very peaceful to sit out back and relax with W1. I was trying to find a comment card from a restaurant while we were there so I could cross the name out and write "Spinney's" but I didn't have any luck. (I thought it would be funny to complain about the toilet paper or anything else that came to mind.)

Considering it was not our normal NOLA trip (i.e. we did not get drunk the whole time, only 1 glass of plum wine a piece at H2's B-day dinner) we were exhausted when we left. Then after crossing the Huey P, the roads were blocked off due to flooding. That added another hour to the trip, but it still was not bad.

I think i mentioned earlier about the oil change where the place did not put any oil back in the truck. I thought all was okay but I think I am now seeing the effects of the mistake. Unfortunately it was so long ago there is no way to prove what happened. When i noticed it (2000 miles after the oil change) it was bone dry. I added 4 quarts and it was full again. About a week later was the NOLA trip. When we got back I noticed my oil pressure gauge acting strange. I checked the oil and was low 2.5 quarts. In the last week since then I have added 3 more quarts. And when i checked this morning I was about a quart low, again. But, i have been checking my parking spot at work and the apartment and have not seen 1 drop on the ground. i also tried flooring the gas pedal to see smoke and that is not occurring either. But it has to be going somewhere. if I burned 3-4 quarts just this week there would definitely be smoke. (Trust me, I know this from experience.) I am hoping running it without oil didn't crack the engine block or one of the heads. I would hate for all my fresh oil to be sitting in my radiator or dripping out of the exhaust pipe. Maybe I will name my truck too. How about "Copperfield"? Watch the oil disappear.

Who knows? I guess all I can do for now is keep an eye on it and go from there.

On a funny note, Coworker r came to ride with us when H2 and GF were in town. His bike was stalling like crazy and we determined it was bad gas. (That's right, i said he had bad gas.) He used a brand new gas can his dad had just filled the day before, and was surprised it was acting that way. Well, he found out last night it was a can of Ethanol for the lawn mower. You know, that corn gas crap. A 1991 carborated bike does not take kindly to food gas apparently. Oh well, live and learn.


At 7:43 PM, Anonymous SSSPPPIIINNNEEEYYY!!! said...

I'll have you know that I use Charmin with Aloe for baby asses like ours, so there!!!

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Louisiana Rose said...

Oh, they hide the good stuff when they go out of town, that's why you couldnt find anything!

At 4:41 PM, Blogger Patti said...

We did see a restaurant called "Jerrod's" while we were on vacation - I guess we should have pulled a few comment cards!!!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home