N'awlins at heart

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Brand new year, same old habits.

Like, um, I don't know, neglecting my blog. Ha ha. Well, here ya go.

We had a wonderful New Years. The Spinneys were nice enough to come visit. We had a wonderful time seeing everyone and getting to chat and catch up. We heard new stories, and old ones we never heard. (See "Sleepless in New Orleans"). They arrived on Saturday and stayed until Tuesday. And I have to say, I probably saw more of Houston in those 4 days than I have in the 2 years I've lived here. It was loads of fun. The girls were cute as always, and the little man has grown rather tall. He hasn't caught up to me yet, but I see that in the near future because he was pretty damn close. We ate like Kings, but we ran around so much I actually lost a few lbs over the holidays. I'm definitely not complaining.

As luck would have it, there are more work stories. Friday, December 21, 2007. Unbeknown to me, the other 5 testers in my lab all received an email stating their accounts would be expiring at midnight, December 31, 2007. I'm guessing they didn't think much of it. Not that there was anything they could do either way, as all the other employees were gone for the holidays. I, on the other hand, did not receive this email.

Fast forward to Wednesday, January 2, 2008. I stroll in and for some reason everyone is amazed I walked right into the lab. Apparently, all their access was cut off. Including the ability for their badges to open the doors of the lab. Or the door to the hallway leading to the lab for that matter. I, on the other hand, had no problem. Onto issue #2. Obviously upset that I was not having issues they asked "Can you get on the network?" Well, that was a simple answer, but I'll drag it out as long as I can.

You see, I have always been pretty unlucky. On 2 occasions working here, I have come in, booted up my computer, and been unable to log on. And they screwed me good. Both times I have needed to get a whole new account set up for myself. Not an easy process. No reactivating a disabled account, nooooo, my account is GONE! To combat this issue, I don't turn off my machine. When I leave every day I lock my profile, turn off my monitor, and head home. So, back to the earlier question. Yes, I was able to log onto the network. It was a matter of me unlocking my screen saver and I was in. Mind you I refuse to reboot until all these issues are rectified. So basically, I was the only one with the ability to get to my work emails, etc...

Thursday, January 3, 2008. I stroll in and once again none of the issues are solved. But this is where it gets good. 2 of the 5 other employees in the lab got stopped on their way in because security noticed they were unable to swipe their cards and unlock the door in the lobby. And since they no longer had profiles in the system, security took their badges and gave them "temporary" paper badges. I just found this very amusing. They, on the other hand, did not. Now 2 of the 3 left came in through the parking garage where you don't have to swipe your badge to get in. So they were safe. So they thought. The last 1 of the 5 came in late (around 10:30) and within 5 minutes of being here, security showed up in our lab. She confiscated his badge and made him go downstairs to also be shamed with a paper "temporary" badge. After returning, security grabbed the 2 "safe" guys who came in through the garage. And guess what happened? I won't even say it.

By now I am cracking myself up, just making excuses to leave the lab and come back. Just to rub in the fact that I'm not stuck in the hall waiting for someone to go through the door, just so I can knock on the door to the lab I work in, and have someone let me in. I did start to get a little worried though, if for some reason they sent these 5 guys home until all the paperwork / account issues got straight, I would become an extremely busy individual. Luckily, about 10 minutes before lunch their badges and lab access was returned. Their network access? Well, still waiting...

Which brings me to my blog posting time. Since I am currently the only person with access to work email, I got to do the easy side project, since my boss can't send the instructions to anyone else. So I sit here clicking the mouse 5 or 6 times, then waiting 30-45 minutes for windows to install. Once done, I install a video driver, connect to the internet and run an update (again with a 5-10 minute wait) then start over reinstalling windows. One of the easiest things I've done since I've been here. For once, I'm the lucky one.


At 8:26 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

It's good to be the king!

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Wow, looks like 2008 is gonna be a good year for you!

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous chia said...

Life can be SO good!!!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home