N'awlins at heart

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Props to the cops. And other stuff.

I take the highways to and from work daily. I've seen my share of cops for sure. Every now and then, they seem to be on motorcycles. One thing I have noticed is that when it starts to rain, the motorcycle cops come out of the wood work. I don't know if it's a challenge, or honing their skills, but they are everywhere. Now I've ridden in my share of rain storms, but never on purpose. It's like these guys live for it. All I can say is, "Mad Props"!!!!

In response to S1+o's blog post. We'll start with Katrina Evacuees. I was on the local newspapers site and read something that really bothered me. There was a shooting at 2:00 AM right by where I work. The person was shot 3 times and found in his car on the side of the road. Literally the article was 3 maybe 4 sentences. Definitely not enough information to draw any conclusions. But that did not stop the locals from screaming "Katrina Evacuees" calling us (among other things) "losers", and criminals in the reader response section of the article. I was so upset I had to register. Rather than retype I will just paste my response.

---Quote---
"With this little bit of info, does it automatically have to be Katrina Evacuees? Yes, there was a 70% raise in crime, but New Orleans Public Schools taught me 70% of 0 is still 0. However, we're not talking about 0. It seems that Houston had an issue with crime long before us "losers" got here. It's just easier to point the finger I guess.

People like that are why my brother got pulled over returning home from visiting me and got a ticket for doing 70 in a 65. (But a Houstonian would never do 5 over right? Come on, I take the belt to work every day.) And the first thing out of the cops mouth was "Oh, you're from New Orleans huh? Why ain't ya gone back yet?"

And as for the article (user name withheld) linked to, here's a quote "A newly formed gang-murder task force arrested seven suspects in connection with 10 murders who are members of a violent southwest Houston gang known as La Tercera Crypts." Definitely sounds like Katrina Evacuees to me. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding, I don't know how Gangs work. The Houston gangs that were already here most certainly welcomed the Gang Banging Evacuees with open arms right?

That's like saying "A man slapped a woman somewhere in the US. That man obviously must have been from Texas." Stereotyping helps nobody. It just amazes me how simple minded people can be. And for the record, I moved here after Katrina and immediately got a job, that I am still at today. FEMA has not paid any of my bills or housing."
---End of quote---

Now as far as the Mexicans go. I think Dan said it best. People are complaining about Mexicans taking jobs, but it's the jobs they refuse to do. Once again I have a scenario. I was pulling out of my apartment complex this morning and across the street were 2 Mexican men weed eating. It was POURING rain but they were still out there doing their jobs. I see them working in the heat, the cold, the rain, whatever the weather. The ones this morning were acting like it was a normal bright sunny day. Just out of curiosity, how many non Mexican people do you know who would continue to work like that in the pouring rain, on someone else's lawn. After High School before I left for the Navy I did landscaping. And I can damn well guarantee when it started raining we took shelter. Complaining about them taking these jobs is silly. That's be like me complaining that they bought all the tampons. So! I don't use them, why do I care? Just my 2 cents.

And that is all for now.

3 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Damn, you Herricks do got fire in ya!! Good one love.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

They bought all the tampons? That's why I haven't come to visit, yeah!

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tampons? Where the hell did that come from? I love ya bro. There just mad cuz their food tastes like shit and their women are easy!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home