N'awlins at heart

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Oh Deer.

What's the plural for deer? It's deer isn't it? I think so. Well, that's what I almost hit. Deer. Three of 'em. It was the strangest thing. Now on some of our late trips to and from NOLA I have seen a few deer on the side of the road. But always at night, and usually only when it is cold. But never really up close (which is a good thing). Until today.

It's 12:30 in the afternoon and I was returning from gorging myself on a Pizza Buffet. The main entrance to the complex I work at has a really cool bridge / Dead Man's Curve. It has 15mph signs marking the curve in a lightly wooded area. Basically you go onto a one lane road heading North (12 o'clock) then it curves to the right, goes straight for a few feet then another sharp right so you end up heading West (9 o'clock) going on an overpass crossing the highway you were just on by the time you're done. (It's a blast on the bike. I actually had a Miata trying to ride my ass and pass me in the curve one morning. All I can say is "I love when I hit that power band". That guy was pissed when I nailed it, but he was pissed way back there.)

So anyway, I was just coming out of the first curve (doing 15mph of course) and a freakin deer ran right in front of me. I mean he was about 2 feet from my front bumper. I hit the brakes to slow down and didn't hit him. Once I noticed he was across the road I let off the brake (I was still going about 5-10mph) and I had to immediately hit it again as 2 more deer ran across my path. They were even closer. I came to a full stop and thought "Wow, that was pretty cool". Once I saw there were no more deer I hit the gas. I came around the second curve just in time to have all 3 deer run right in front of me again. I thought "Wow, not so cool the second time I almost hit these bastards".

I do feel a little bit bad for them. Apparently a few years ago the road to my job was a 2 lane street, now it's a 4 lane highway in each direction with 3 lane feeder roads (Frontage Rd.). The area these deer were running from is being bulldozed to build a strip mall. It seriously reminds me of the SouthPark Rainforest Episode. Looking the direction these deer came from I saw trees maybe 10 deep, then bulldozers and construction workers. It was almost sad (However not as sad as I would have been running into a deer, that can't be good for your car). (Oh yeah, by the way, I was in the truck, not on the bike. Probably an important piece of info there.)

Well, other than that, nothing too exciting going on today. Happy Valentines Day everyone. And for everyone out there who says it's just a commercial holiday I say "Who cares? Don't be a cheap ass! Splurge $5 on a freakin card and try to make someone who loves you happy!"

4 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Wow, glad you're okay. That's too wierd... Happy V day to you too (not gonna tell you what the v stands for but hope you got some on this particular day! heh heh)

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I REALLY want to listen to my kids talk about "getting some"? I think NOT!!

Hope your "V" day was a good one.

I got Mom a solid milk chocolate "card" from Hershey. It's pretty cool.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger H1 said...

A milk chocolate card sounds cool. I gotta see that.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Maybe I was talking about "V"egetables! They're a very important part of a healthy diet. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home