N'awlins at heart

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Now where did I leave that "fairy bell"?

I was so angry today I would have punched Billy Gillette in the face! I was prepared to take out a Craigslist ad stating "Football found. Come get it." And when he arrived, BAM, I punch him in the face.

I made the comment to W1 this morning how "I can't get to work on time. If I leave 20 minutes early, or 10 minutes late, I walk through the door at 9:03 in the AM. What the Hell?". So this morning I was prepared, we headed out the door about 15 minutes earlier than normal. W1 even made the comment "You're gonna be on time today." to which I responded "No guarantee's there." and we both laughed. She jumped in her ride and headed off. I jumped on the bike, pulled down the choke, placed it in neutral, turned the key, and pressed the starter. After a popping noise, all the lights went dead. I made an angry face at the gauge cluster, turned the key off then on again, hit the starter, and POP! No more lights! Dammit!!!

After fiddling with the kill switch, the choke, and the starter for 5-10 minutes, I gave up and went back inside. Took off my boots, put away my helmet and jacket, and sulked to the parking garage to get in the truck. At least it started.

I walked through the front door at 9:03 AM on the dot. No bullshit! I looked on my cell phone as I was walking through. The rest of the day went about the same way. I had to call a few people about some work I was trying to get done, and it got me nowhere.

The day couldn't end quick enough. I finally headed home just in time for our exercise. Once that was over I headed outside to take the bike apart. I figited with the battery and the lights came on. I hit the starter and POP! DAMMIT!!! I tried to test the voltage on the battery but the battery in my multimeter was dead. I mean really? Seriously? Come on!

After changing that battery I discovered I had 12 volts on the bike battery. That's not a good sign. Well, it is, but it isn't. I went ahead and tightened both battery leads down as tight as they would go and gave it one last shot. And the bike fired right up. I guess over the last few years the screws that hold the battery leads on vibrated loose. It almost seems like the same thing happened to me around 4 years ago when I first got the bike. Unfortunately "Big Boy" wasn't there to fix it for me this time.

So, as the night winds down things are looking up (and I'll be putting that "Gremlin Bell" on the bike tomorrow). I'm not as sore after exercising as I was yesterday. And hopefully I won't toss and turn until well after midnight tonight. Even if I do, I get to ride the bike in tomorrow, so all is good. As cousin Tim would say "Sa-weet!".


At 10:29 AM, Anonymous chia said...


I should have ridden today, but didn't. sa-WOWER!! (sour)(sorta)

At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Major Dad said...

Look, Pal. Carry your "Mister Fixit" ass back to the nola and start putterin on my bike. I aint rode in 6 months!!!!!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home