N'awlins at heart

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Open mouth (reply to email) insert foot (show ass).

Last Monday we hired a new Engineer at work. This is the neediest person I have ever met. I swear I spent 20+ hours last week just helping him with basic Windows operations. Let me repeat, BASIC WINDOWS OPERATIONS. I mean, stuff that was an option back with Windows 95. And common stuff, not brain surgery.

The first time he called me was because his screen was too dim and hard for him to see. So I went all the way up front to show him how to turn up his brightness. Let me repeat that. I went all the way up front to show the new COMPUTER ENGINEER how to turn up his screen brightness.

Along with annoying the hell out of me, he was also annoying the Admin Assistants. Who are no longer in our group I might add. So they are essentially doing us a favor. Rule #1: If someone is doing you a favor, leave them alone and let them do the favor. Going back and bugging them with other shit makes them not too happy about doing you said favor. And I promise it doesn't speed them up any.

One of the tasks I was given by my boss was to order some stuff for him. I told him to figure out what he needed, shoot me an email, and I'll get it ordered. The next day he calls me and says "I have the stuff I want to order, can you come down here?". Sure, no problem. So when I get there I realize, he does not have the stuff picked out, he is on the site that lists stuff he is interested in. So I sit there as he goes through the list checking off the stuff he wants to order. So now I'm sitting around watching this asshole shop. Which is fine, I mean, I really didn't have anything better to do, other than all the work I had piling up because I'm wasting my time trying to take care of this annoying jerk.

So after he picks and chooses a bunch of crap, I copy down the information for the items and tell him I'll get them ordered. Now I get to research part numbers. So I've been working on that, and working with the Admin Assistant. She tells me to send her the part numbers and she'll take care of it. A few days later he tells me he's going to Asia next week and needs the laptop. The rest of the stuff can wait but he must have the laptop for his trip. (So why exactly did I set up a system for him to use until it arrives? Or better yet, why can't he take that one to Asia?) Anyway, if I had known the computer took priority he would have already had it.

So I'm emailing back and forth with the AA and he calls again. Now he can't remotely connect to the network. So I start working on his new issue. As I'm bitching about him via email to the AA I am also working on his system. (1 of the 2 loaners I have already set up for him.) All of a sudden I need his employee number to continue setting him up. We'll I ain't gonna call him, especially since he probably doesn't know it or even have it written down, and would probably have a laundry list of other stuff he needs now.

It was at this point that I got an idea. I'll put him in the CC section of the email, then look at the properties of his email address and see if it lists his employee number. Nope. Sure didn't. Dammit! Oh well, I'll have to look somewhere else. Well, let me go ahead and hit send on the email to the AA and continue this search for the elusive employee number.

So did you catch that? Did you see what just happened there? Yep, I hit send on the email bitching about how he's aggravating the shit out of me, with him in the CC section. So yes, I essentially copied him on the email and let him know that he was driving me nuts.

The good side? It needed to be said and he needed to know. The bad, as whiny and needy as he is, I have no doubt he ran to my boss to tell him I don't like him and I'm not a very nice person. All I have to say is, I stand by it.

Tune in next time for the wonderful world of seat covers.

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

OH SNAP!!! That is my biggest fear and why sometimes I send your wife e-mail on the home mail even though we're both at work :)

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Deacon Dean said...

That is way too funny!! And, of course you stand by it. What else can you do when you're caught with your pants down (so to speak)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home